Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Weeds...Glorious Weeds!

At this time of year, weeds are novel. One of the first signs of spring. As daffodils and tulips emerge from the ground, so do shot weed, dandelion, and spurge to name a select few.

The sun actually feels warm as I putter around the garden. It's been several months since I've been able to saunter and see what's going on in my garden. In the winter, it's usually a mad dash to get out, take care of a few pressing tasks, and rush back inside before my fingers fall off! Today I didn't even need to wear liners under my gloves. This last week of sunny days has been luxurious. Forecasts threatened rain, but we managed just a misting here and there.

Early in the season, I don't mind filling up my bucket with weeds. The ground isn't frozen any more. The friable earth gives way to my dandelion weeder as I pluck these green culprits from the ground.

So for now, I don't mind the weeds. I have time to get everything ready for spring planting.

No comments: