Sunday, March 9, 2008

First Seeds Sown

To celebrate the beginning of Daylight Saving Time, I planted the first seeds for this year's veggies: Walla Walla Onions.

A friend collected "haricot vert" seeds from a few plants I gave him a couple years ago. These are those mystery French beans. Either they are truly French green beans, or they are just plain ol' green beans and the seeds were bought in France. I think the latter is more likely.

I forgot about these seeds until I did my seed inventory last month. I do remember my friend asking me if they were "bush beans" meaning that they don't climb like Jack's Beanstalk. They are more bushy and don't need support. I admitted I didn't know since I had planted them my P-Patch and had to abandon it soon after that.

When we moved into our house, I noticed someone mounted planter boxes to the fence. I'm still not that crazy about them. One of them I can't even see because it's behind a short palm tree. The one that is more visible I decided would be the perfect place for trying out the bush beans. I'm hoping they'll cascade over the box.

I'm not even sure if the seeds are still viable. If they don't germinate, I haven't committed myself to setting aside valuable space in the garden for them. I'll just plant something else in the box instead if it doesn't work out. But I'm hoping they will!

No comments: