Monday, July 20, 2015

Apples!

Last year I opted not to cover my apples for two reasons. 1) To see if my apples would actually get codling moth or apple maggot and 2) shear laziness. Apples trees have an alternate bearing cycle where every other year is a low yield. Since last year was the "off year" for my trees, I thought it was a good time to try out my experiment. Sure enough, I ended up with a lot of wormy apples.

I finally got around to covering my apples last week...after seeing this sign from City Fruit about covering your apples. I'm hoping for better late than not doing it at all. I make my own barriers out of cheap nylon stockings I found at the dollar store.

I cut 2-3" long sections and tie a knot at one end. Then I wrap it around the apple and tie a double knot at the stem end.
Before


After



 
I noticed some apples did have a mealy frass-like substance at the bottom or blossom end. I gleaned those and tossed them into the yard waste. I also gleaned any fruit that was small or if the clusters seemed crowded. I wanted to give the others that are further along enough space to grow to their full size.

I think next time I'll start even sooner. It looks like City Fruit gives away free fruit barriers. I'll be sure to contact them next year!
                                                                            



                              

No comments: